Sunday, November 17, 2013

Aloha Cafe (Little Tokyo, LA, CA)

Located at:
Honda Plaza
410 E 2nd St

Los Angeles, CA 90012

Date of visit: 10/20/13


      Ah spam & eggs. One of my all time favorite breakfast duos. I remember having that practically every morning when I was on a vacation at Hawaii. Where spam & eggs were served practically every street corner. But I can not say the same for the mainland. Those suckers are hard to find! (Well a place that did them well that is) Then i looked online and found this little gem in my local area.

     Upon arrival I noticed that they have a special deal going on. "Early Bird Special Spam & Eggs" for roughly 4 bucks. I almost had a gasp attack. I was super excited and extremely giddy to try this place out.
      Once inside, the one that really stood out was how open this restaurant felt. The decor was very minimal. But overall very comfortable and bright.
     The staff here were extremely friendly and very attentive. I was somewhat expecting grumpy "not-morning" type of folk. But boy was I wrong. I give them props for being so friendly and upbeat that early in the morning. Then again they could have all been hopped up on a lot of coffee.
     Well my plan was to jump in and order the spam and eggs. Until the I saw that they had a much, much, much bigger breakfast on their menu. And of course being the fatty that I am, I caved without hesitation and ordered the "Komai's Big Breakfast". Don't judge this fatty!
      Komai's Big Breakfast - "1 Corn Beef Hash, 2 Spam, 2 Portuguese Sausages, 2 Vienna Sausages, 2 Eggs, 2 Scoops of Rice and Hawaiian Bread.
      The Eggs: I'm not a fan of runny eggs so i normally so I order them over hard. They turned out great. Not completely overdone and burnt. But the bottom line is they're just regular unseasoned eggs.
     Vienna Sausages: Pretty sure these are the straight out of the can. Nothing too special about them.
     Corn Beef Hash: I've never had corn beef hash before I came here. And I got to say I'm on the fence about that one. On one hand the flavors were very good. It tasted like the savoriness was doing a nice waltz with the starchiness. Yum. But the texture..I'm not a fan of. 
      The Portuguese Sausages: Very nicely cooked and the flavors are great as far as Portuguese Sausages go. And its got a nice mild kick to them.
     The Spam: Oh Lordy Lord Lord Lord! These guys are amazing. They had just the right amount of crisp on the outside and still moistish at center.
     The Hawaiian Rolls: Never had them toasted on the outside and still soft on the inside before. And I'm kicking myself for not doing that before.
     The Rice: Nicely cooked...it's just rice.
     This was a really good pig out breakfast all together. And aside from it just tasting good it really hits the spot if you're hankering for something heavy for breakfast. This would be it. So if you're looking for a good Hawaiian Cafe that is just simple, not pretentious, very friendly and serves somewhat heavy food. This is the place to be. A big Kahunas's thumbs up!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment