Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Takami Sushi & Robata Restaurant (Downtown LA, CA)

Located at:
811 Wilshire Blvd
Ste 2100

Los Angeles, CA 90017

Date of Visit: 10/28/13


     This restaurant has been on my radar ever since I went on a yelp raid and saw just how lovely the restaurant was. And since my friends and I were on a classy night out I suggested this restaurant. It's located on the top floor of a office building in Downtown LA. Which meant parking was going to be a pain. (And it was) Once we were inside the building we had to take the elevator to the top floor. Which then lead us to this very picturesque restaurant.

     
      This was a really nice place it did not disappoint. The view was magnificent. It was very spacious and had a nice atmosphere.
     The hostess here was a bit snooty which lead me to be a little wary of the service here. But once we got to our table got to and met our waitress I was put at ease. Our waitress was very friendly and expected of this place, attentive. The service moved at a pretty good pace but the only thing was that our drink order took a little long. But it ended up being pretty strong so... all is good. :D
      "Seared Yellowtail with Diced Chiles - Yellowtail Sashimi topped with Diced Jalapeno Chiles, Seared with a Ponzu Olive Oil."  I didn't know what to expect from this dish at all. And when i shoved it in my pie hole my mind was blown. The fish was very fresh  and the flavors were all just working with each other. A very lovely dish. 
      "Baked Scallop Roll - California Roll topped with Baked Scallop Dynamite" The California roll tasted generic. The scallops tasted a little off. It definitely had a heavy fishy/ocean taste to it them. Not a fan.
      "Grilled Angus Filet - Sliced Angus Filet Mignon served with a Black Truffle Sauce." The meat itself was good. It was was nicely cooked and the truffle sauce wasn't overpowering the meat. But my (and my friends') favorite thing on this plate was not the meat unfortunately. It was the scalloped potatoes. You could hardly tell they're there but there were only 4 slices (one for each of us) and man the flavor, the way they cooked it, and the added bread crumbs provided extra textures. Just spot on. 
      "Takami Roll - Spicy Albacore, Cucumber, Topped with Pepper Tuna & Yellowtail with Takami Sauce." This roll had some really good flavors and the freshness of the fish came through.
      "Salmon Spring Roll - Salmon, Romaine, Avocado, Cucumber, Kaiware, Asparagus & Gobo Cilantro Aioli." This roll was...well... "whatever" I just think maybe there was way too much going on. Just too many textures ranging from the mushiness for the fish to the crunch of the lettuce and asparagus was just weird.
      "Molten Lave Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream" This dish hit the sweet-tooth spot. The cake was soft and moist. The center was a lovely runny gooey core. It may have been a bit too rich for some of my friends. But I didn't mind getting chocolate-wasted off of this bad boy. 
     I had a nice time here but I still can't decide if I like the restaurant or not. Granted this place does have the impressive setting going for it. And it's definitely an amazing place to take someone on a date just for the atmosphere. The food however was mostly just average out to be "good". There were some high points though low is being dragged down by some of their "alright" dishes. (Side note: We did order a few more rolls but were not pictured. And we had a consensus that they were just "alright" such a salmon roll and a shrimp tempura roll). Normally if i had food like this at any other regular ground level restaurant I'd be throwing my thumbs up. But I think my real beef is that at the prices that each one of the items were. They should have been more than just "alright". Where as i could have gotten a lot of those rolls at that quality at Little Tokyo at almost half the cost. But I had a overall good experience so I guess I'll raise a thumbs up?

No comments:

Post a Comment